In typical Elise fashion, I was excited to get involved as quickly as I could. I took on the role of Community Service Chair the first semester I joined and then ran for chapter President the following Fall. My lovely sisters elected me into office and the craziest 12 months of my life began. Being chapter President meant that I oversaw a chapter of 100+ women and represented Iota Omega to the UMD Greek community as well as our International Office. Before or since, I have not had an experience that has caused me to feel excited, optimistic, annoyed, depressed, exhilarated and proud all in the same day (though I feel like this TLC job will give it a run for its money). It was a roller coaster, but I came out a stronger person, more independent and confident than I was before.
It was this experience that drove me to apply to be a TLC. I had such a great experience and Zeta gave me so much while I was a collegiate and I can't wait to give back by visiting ZTA chapters. So, what exactly will I be doing? Generally, I know that I will be living out of a suitcase, traveling from ZTA chapter to ZTA chapter all across the country. Sometimes I'll fly and sometimes sisters from the chapters I visit will drive me. Typically, I will be traveling and working alone, though there may be some time when I will be working with other TLCs. While I am there, (which will be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks+) I will help with recruitment, officer training, programming and basically anything else that is going on.
Before the chapter visits actually start, I will have my first TLC experience at our Convention in New Orleans! From July 6-11 I will, along with the 16 other TLCs, help out with the logistics of the Convention. I am very excited to see my chapter's delegates as well as meet the ladies I will be working with over the next year. Next, its off to Indianapolis, IN (the home of our International Office) at the end of July for 2 weeks of training.
Right now, I am savoring my last few weeks in College Park but also counting down the days until this next great adventure begins!
Congratulations Elise! You are going to have FANTASTIC adventures this year! I am so glad that you "started at the beginning" on your blog because I am one of those confused about all the "Greek" stuff. Great work on the blog. I have a lot of fun with mine. You will be quite busy with all your traveling but these days you can get free WIFI on airplanes! Good luck, I'll be reading...
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Elise, way to go! I travel a lot for work as well and you really can have a great time if you take advantage of the free trips! Have a great time! I'll be excited to hear about your new adventures! :)
ReplyDeleteThank you very much to you both!
ReplyDelete